Benjamin Recht is an Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences and in the Department of Statistics at the University of California, Berkeley. He was previously an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Ben received his BS in Mathematics from the University of Chicago, and his MS and PhD from the MIT Media Laboratory. After completing his doctoral work, he was a postdoctoral fellow in the Center for the Mathematics of Information at Caltech. He is the recipient of a NSF Career Award, an Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, and the 2012 SIAM/MOS Lagrange Prize in Continuous Optimization.
- Theory of Reinforcement Learning, Fall 2020. Visiting Scientist.
- Foundations of Deep Learning, Summer 2019. Visiting Scientist.
- Bridging Continuous and Discrete Optimization, Fall 2017. Visiting Scientist, Program Organizer and Workshop Organizer.
- Foundations of Machine Learning, Spring 2017. Visiting Scientist.
- Algorithms and Uncertainty, Fall 2016. Visiting Scientist.
- Theoretical Foundations of Big Data Analysis, Fall 2013. Visiting Scientist.