The city of Berkeley and neighboring communities offer a variety of attractive hotel options as well as furnished short-term and long-term housing opportunities. Long-term visitors are advised to make arrangements for their accommodation as early as possible. The Institute provides assistance in securing rental accommodation for long-term participants.
*Please be aware of scams claiming to arrange accommodations for your visit. While the Simons Institute provides long-term visitors with resources to find accommodations, the Institute will not ask you for payments, and will not arrange for accommodation providers to contact you. Please note Ehotel Services is not affiliated with the Simons Institute and its programs.
Berkeley hotels and Bed and Breakfasts for short-term visitors (sorted by distance to Calvin Lab)
- Faculty Club (on campus)
- Bancroft Hotel (3-minute walk to Calvin Lab, limited number of rooms)
- Graduate Berkeley (formerly Hotel Durant) (7-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Hotel Shattuck Plaza (15-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Easton Hall Conference Center Guesthouse (15-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Rose Garden Inn (18-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Berkeley Lab Guest House (hills above campus, access by car or shuttle bus)
- Double Tree by Hilton (complimentary shuttle or 20-minute bus ride on public transit)
- Claremont Hotel Club & Spa (20-minute bus ride with public transit)
- Mary's Bed and Breakfast (30-minute walk or 10-minute bus ride to campus)
Berkeley furnished rentals for long-term visitors
- We have compiled a list of tips for your Berkeley housing search here.
- You can find a description of Berkeley neighborhoods here.
- Rental prices per month can range as follows:
- Private room in a shared apartment or house ($1,300 - $1,800)
- Studio apartment ($1,800 - $2,500)
- 1-BR apartment or house ($2,300 - $3,600)
- 2-BR apartment or house ($3,000 - $4,500)
- 3-BR apartment or house ($4,500+)
Please note that the price ranges above represent approximate costs for furnished rentals in nearby neighborhoods.
You may use the following resources to find accommodation
- UC Berkeley housing list: CalRentals
- Sabbatical Homes
- Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO)
- Bed and Breakfast Online
If you are a local landlord interested in renting your furnished accommodation to our visiting scientists, please apply via our online landlord application form.