The city of Berkeley and neighboring communities offer a variety of attractive hotel options as well as furnished short-term and long-term housing opportunities. Long-term visitors are advised to make arrangements for their accommodation as early as possible. The Institute provides assistance in securing rental accommodation for long-term participants.
*Please be aware of scams claiming to arrange accommodations for your visit. While the Simons Institute provides long-term visitors with resources to find accommodations, the Institute will not ask you for payments, and will not arrange for accommodation providers to contact you. Please note: Ehotel Services is not affiliated with the Simons Institute and its programs.
Berkeley hotels and Bed and Breakfasts for short-term visitors (sorted by distance to Calvin Lab):
- Faculty Club (on campus)
- Bancroft Hotel (3-minute walk to Calvin Lab, limited number of rooms)
- Graduate Berkeley (formerly Hotel Durant) (7-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Hotel Shattuck Plaza (15-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Easton Hall Conference Center Guesthouse (15-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Rose Garden Inn (18-minute walk to Calvin Lab)
- Berkeley Lab Guest House (hills above campus, access by car or shuttle bus)
- Double Tree by Hilton (complimentary shuttle or 20-minute bus ride on public transit)
- Claremont Hotel Club & Spa (20-minute bus ride with public transit)
- Mary's Bed and Breakfast (30-minute walk or 10-minute bus ride to campus)
Berkeley furnished rentals for long-term visitors:
- We have compiled a list of tips for your Berkeley housing search here.
- You can find a description of Berkeley neighborhoods here.
- Rental prices per month can range as follows:
- Private room in a shared apartment or house ($1,300 - $1,800)
- Studio apartment ($1,800 - $2,500)
- 1-BR apartment or house ($2,300 - $3,600)
- 2-BR apartment or house ($3,000 - $4,500)
- 3-BR apartment or house ($4,500+)
Please note that the price ranges above represent approximate costs for furnished rentals in nearby neighborhoods.
You may also use the following resources to find accommodation:
- UC Berkeley housing list: CalRentals
- Sabbatical Homes
- Vacation Rental By Owner (VRBO)
- Bed and Breakfast Online
If you are a local landlord interested in renting your furnished accommodation to our visiting scientists, please apply via our online landlord application form.