In June 2019, Simons Institute Director Shafi Goldwasser was awarded a prestigious honorary degree for her lifetime of achievements by the University of Oxford, in their annual Encaenia celebration.
Begun in 1566, Encaenia has honored leaders who are committed to improving the world through humanities and sciences. The event was held as usual in the University’s Sheldonian Theatre. Each honorand was introduced in a humorous way (in Latin) by the University Orator. Rain or shine, the program always begins in the morning with the ceremonial Lord Crewe’s Benefaction of peaches, strawberries and champagne, and concludes with a lunch and an outdoor garden party. Check out our extraordinary leader in full Oxford sub fusc (university formal dress)!
Image credit: Ian Wallman
- Letter from the Director, September 2019
- Video Feature: Interview with “Wrong at the Root” Organizers Patricia Williams and Cynthia Dwork
- Workshop Report: Wrong at the Root (June 2019)
- Care-Coordination Programs and Algorithmic Bias: An Interview With Sendhil Mullainathan
- This Summer at the Simons Institute
- From the Inside: Geometry of Polynomials
- From the Inside: Foundations of Data Privacy
- Research Vignette: Lower Bounds in Computational Complexity
- Research Vignette: Foundations of Data Science
- Simons Institute Launches Richard M. Karp Distinguished Lectures
- Prasad Raghavendra Appointed Interim Senior Scientist