Bicycle Loan Program
The Simons Institute makes a limited number of commuter bicycles (Bianchi Cortina) available for loan to long-term Institute visitors staying at least one month. Visitors interested in participating in the bicycle loan program should meet with our Facilities Manager, Robin Hoey, upon arrival at the Institute (Calvin Lab 130, rhoey [at] berkeley.edu, +1 510.664.9075).
- Bring your helmet to this meeting. For your protection, we lend bikes only once we've seen your helmet. If you do not yet own a helmet, you can purchase one from any local bike shop, or one of the larger box stores (e.g. Target, in Emeryville), which may have lower prices.
- Be prepared to cover up to $500 in repair/replacement costs in the event of damage to or loss of the bicycle, lock and security cable.
- At the meeting, you will sign the requisite liability and authorization forms and review campus bicycle policies.
You are responsible for the bicycle until you return it to the Institute. Loss of or damage to the bicycle will result in repair/replacement charges of up to $500.
1. Where can I ride a bicycle in the Bay Area?
The Bay Area is a bike-friendly area. Most local roads have labeled bike lanes and the campus is generally bike-friendly, except for well marked areas where riders must disembark and walk their bicycle.
2. Do I need anything else?
For your protection, we lend bikes only once we've seen your helmet. You should purchase a bike helmet, or bring one with you. All of our bicycles come with reflectors and a U-lock, but you should also consider purchasing a headlight and taillight for your bicycle if you will be riding at night.
3. What if the bike is lost stolen while I am borrowing it?
You will be required to cover up to $500 in repair/replacement costs. You should contact Robin Hoey (rhoey [at] berkeley.edu, +1 510.664.9075) immediately, and file a police report with UCPD.
4. What if I lose the U-lock?
You will be charged $50 for replacement of the U-lock.
5. What if I have technical problems with my bike?
Please contact our Facility Manager, Robin Hoey (rhoey [at] berkeley.edu, +1 510.664.9075).
6. May I borrow a bike for my accompanying family members?
Sorry, no. Institute bicycles are available only for scientific visitors.