Mike earned a BSc in Applied Math from MIT and a PhD in Theoretical Computer Science from UC Berkeley. He founded Digital Fountain Inc. in 1999, and served as CTO until acquired by Qualcomm Inc. in 2009, where he was a VP of Technology for ten years.
Mike has received numerous IEEE, ACM awards, and medals for research and practice in coding theory, transport technologies, distributed computing, information theory, and cryptography. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, is an IEEE Fellow and an ACM Fellow.
- Data Privacy: Foundations and Applications, Spring 2019. Visiting Scientist.
- Foundations of Data Science, Fall 2018. Visiting Scientist.
- Real-Time Decision Making, Spring 2018. Visiting Scientist.
- Bridging Continuous and Discrete Optimization, Fall 2017. Visiting Scientist.
- Foundations of Machine Learning, Spring 2017. Visiting Scientist.
- Cryptography, Summer 2015. Visiting Scientist.
- Information Theory, Spring 2015. Visiting Scientist, Program Organizer and Workshop Organizer.