Travel and Registration Support
Travel and Student Registration Awards for FOCS 2013
Thanks to generous support from the National Science Foundation, the IEEE
TCMF, which sponsors FOCS 2013, there will be a total of $20,000 to support
travel for FOCS 2013.
The NSF travel awards are available to students and certain
The NSF awards are only available to those at US institutions.
Receipts will be required for all travel awards. Reimbursement will be made
after the conference.
There is no
restriction on the institution of origin for this award.
Preference will be given to students who are FOCS 2013 authors.
To apply, email
the information listed below to
firstname.lastname@example.org, by October 10, 2013.
Please use the following subject line: "FOCS 2013 travel-registration
- Are you applying for a travel award, registration award, or
- Title of paper, if you are an author and whether you will be
presenting the paper.
- Whether you are a student or you are a postdoctoral fellow
- University name and country.
- Amount of other travel funds that are available to you.
accomplishments and interests in attending the conference.
- A short statement describing you academic standing and
interests, your expected graduation date and degree, advisor's name, and, if
available, a URL for a working Web page. Also indicate whether and when you
have attended previous major theory conferences (e.g. STOC and FOCS) and
whether or not you have received other travel awards to do so.
- (For students) a supporting statement from your advisor
confirming your status, recommending your attendance, and describing
availability of travel funds. This should be included in a message
with your name in the subject line which should
be e-mailed to the focs-travel address above.
(Note: vague statements such as "funds
are tight" are not informative).
- The NSF and IEEE encourage applications from members of
underrepresented groups for these awards.
(Optional) Please indicate if you are part of such a group or
at an institution that is not typically represented at IEEE
- If you are at a US institution and requesting travel support you
should submit a US dollar estimate of the airfare/transportation
the conference and the number of nights you will be staying.
This information will be used to prioritize the awards (see the
prioritization for travel awards below). The awards will be
announced by Monday October 14th. Late applications will not be
You should receive an email acknowledging your application within 3
weekdays. If not, please resubmit or contact the conference organizers by
some other means.
Student and postdoctoral fellow travel to FOCS 2013 is supported by the
National Science Foundation under Grants CCF-1348020.
Priority for Travel Awards will be based on the following:
- Most, but not all, travel awards are for individuals at US institutions
only. Some funds are restricted to at most one travel award per institution
so awards will be made to ensure coverage of as broad a spectrum of
institutions as possible.
- Student authors and co-authors of accepted papers who do not have other
- Members of under-represented groups or from institutions not
represented at the conference who have research interests in areas covered
FOCS whose attendance would broaden participation at the conference.
- Student applicants whose statements and supporting information make
particularly cogent justification for the benefit they will receive from
attending the conference.
- Postdoctoral authors of accepted papers who do not have other
- First-time applicants and students who have not received travel stipends
to FOCS or STOC in the recent past.
- Financial need and stage in research career.